Matchday Memories: On This Day 1982 – Sexton’s Sky Blues Score Four As United Unravel

Posted by · Leave a Comment 

Dave Sexton- CCFC Manager

Danny Thomas on the programme front

On this day (13th February) in 1982 the Sky Blues, under Dave Sexton were taking on Oxford United, who had been something of a giantkiller so far in the Fifth Round of the F.A.Cup. United had disposed of Dover, Bournemouth and Brighton away and Aldershot (after a replay) at home in previous rounds. The Oxfordshire team had, as caretaker manager, ex Sky Blue (and now CCFPA member) Roy Barry.

The Sky Blues Cup record so far involved beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 at Highfield Rd in Round Three and Manchester City at Maine Road by the same score in the last round.

Garry Gillespie comes out on top

Mark Hateley in action

Garry in the Sky Blue

Today’s 4-0 demolition of their lower league opponents by the Sky Blues in Round Five meant they had made the last eight of the cup for only the first time in nine years! City had £145k Gerry Francis in their side, who had come to Highfield Road having turned down an offer to manage Portsmouth. There was a crowd of 20,264 in Highfield Road to watch the game.

The win was primarily the result of a sparkling display from Sky Blue striking duo (both now CCFPA members) Garry Thompson and Mark Hateley who both grabbed a brace, giving a young Mark Wright in the United defence the runaround.

Garry got his double on the stroke of half time and ten minutes after the break whilst Mark netted two minutes after the break and seven minutes before the final whistle to ensure he had scored in every round (four in three games)!

Sexton’s Sky Blues took the field with the following team:-

Roy in his Sky Blue heyday

Jim Blyth; Danny Thomas, David Barnes, Gerry Francis (sub. Steve Jacobs), Paul Dyson, Gary Gillespie, Peter Bodak, David Bradford, Mark Hateley, Garry Thompson and Steve Hunt.

CCFPA members currently are underlined.

Roy Barry‘s United team turned out:-

Roy Burton, John Doyle, Dave Fogg, Billy Jeffrey, Gary Briggs, Mark Wright, Kevin Brock (sub. Ollie Kearns), James Foley, Keith Cassells, Andy Thomas and Tim Smithers       Referee:- C.White


Sadly, the Sky Blues went out at the next hurdle being beaten 2-0 in the sixth round early the following month by West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns. Future Sky Blue (and CCFPA member), the late Cyrille Regis scored one of the West Brom goals. In an all London final Tottenham Hotspur eventually won the Cup but needed a replay against Queens Park Rangers.

CCFC 1981-82

In the league Sexton’s men finished the Division One season in a relatively comfortable fourteenth spot. Liverpool took the title by four points from Ipswich Town and Leeds United (20th), Wolves (21st) and, bottom of pile, Middlesbrough were all relegated.

Thanks to CCFPA’s Mike Young (& Dean Nelson) for sourcing the images.


Share Post


Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...

= 3 + 6